How The Holy Spirit Led People.
We don’t even know her name.
Other Jews would not even speak with her, yet because Jesus was a “people connector,” He connected with her.
Through His personal connection, God reached an entire city.
Through this passage a Spirit Filled and Spirit Led person can learn eight principles from Jesus who connected with this Samaritan woman:
1. Spirit led people initiate the contact (vv 1-7) Jesus spoke first. He didn’t isolate himself, even from “undesirables.”
1. Spirit led people establish common ground (vv 7,8) He connected with her about a familiar interest: water.
1. Spirit led people listen and allow others to speak (v9) He knew people like to hear their own voices most of all.
1. Spirit led people arouse interest (vv 10-15) Jesus built a verbal bridge by making her thirsty for something more than water.
1. Spirit led people take others only as far as they are ready to go
(vv 16-19) Jesus knew He must not go too far. He said enough to make her hungry for more.
1. Spirit led people accept others where they are (vv 17,18) Jesus knew her lifestyle, but never condemned her for it.
1. Spirit led people stick with the key issues (vv 20-24) He did not allow her to get distracted. He would not divert the focus from the real issue.
1. Spirit led people communicate issues directly and simply (vv25,26) Jesus revealed His identity in clear and simple terms.
Pastor Stephen Galvano
Rochester Christian Church Ministries International